The Commercial Team are looking to hire a Compliance Officer who understands the importance of “Making It Right” and “Making It Easy”. Our ideal candidate is someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about compliance whilst understanding Tutuka’s business and the industry it operates in.
We are looking for someone with strong compliance knowledge and the ability to meaningfully apply this to our business without undue disruption. We are not looking for a person that is going to implement numerous policies and processes just for compliance sake.
The preferred candidate needs to be product and operations focused - they don’t need to know about payment products specifically, but they must be willing and able to learn and collaborate with other teams and acquiring good knowledge of VoucherEngine and any other systems that make our products work. This is essential to being able to apply their compliance knowledge to our actual products and not just generic compliance rules.
The focus should be client oriented - how do we make it happen for clients while ensuring that our products are compliant and we will pass compliance audits and scrutiny that big financial clients (like Standard Bank) impose on us.
First and foremost, this person needs to be both a compliance and a regulatory guide that can navigate the compliance landscape to make sure we can justify our business approach. In this regard, an innovative yet ordered approach to compliance will be prized. At the same time, they need to be able to speak the language of their more formal compliance counterparts in Banks and other Financial Institutions, to be able to give them comfort that we have our compliance in order. This person needs to support us and help us do our business compliantly, but not want to make radical changes.
There will be internal process that could be improved upon, but the initial focus would be outward looking. Necessary changes need to sensitively handled, be backed by proper consultations with relevant business units, and be effectively communicated to staff when implemented.
- Working with our sponsor banks on any compliance related matters that the banks are raising
- Interpreting compliance requirements and finding solutions that meet both Tutuka’s product requirements and external party requirements
- Training staff internally so that they are aware of the compliance issues and have the understanding of why things are needed
- Research regulatory and compliance requirements in the different regions that we work in and update internal teams accordingly
- Manage and drive any compliance audits that external parties (e.g. our sponsor banks) perform on Tutuka - this will also involve working with multiple teams within Tutuka
- Be responsible for improving data quality
- Investigate, identify and resolve any potential compliance breaches
- Manage ongoing AML, sanctions screening, KYC and due diligence checks to align with Tutuka’s risk appetite as well as ensuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations and rules
- Where appropriate, introduce new systems and processes that simplify and improve ongoing AML, sanctions screening, KYC and due diligence checks
- Act as a key point of contact to support the business in operating within compliance frameworks, processes, controls and best practices
- Drafting of any compliance policies that are required to meet client and bank’s needs
A compliance person with substantial experience working in a fintech or a challenger bank could be a good candidate. The person should have around 5 years of experience in a role which has given them hands on experience in dealing directly with compliance issues.